About Me

My photo
Hi, my name's Jonathan. I am serving Christ in Antigua, Guatemala in the Potter's Field Ignite program. I'm just someone trying my best to grow closer to Christ.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Going Hard For Christ

Mark 14:3-8-

"And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as He sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on His head. And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of the ointment made? For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her. And Jesus said, "Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me. For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always. She hath done what she could: she is come a forehand to anoint my body to the burying."


Last Tuesday, a team from Oregan arrived here, and will stay for two weeks. So we decided to hang out with them a little bit and get to know these guys and perhaps encourage them to come to Ignite. Before Kids Club the following day, I was talking with a few of them about the Kids Club program in Antigua. They asked me how many kids usually come to Kids Club, I told them that we don't know, quite frankly it's a little hard for me sometimes because due to some rumored about circumstances, the number of kids went from 150ish to a max of 20. Anyways, the clock struck 1pm and it was time for kids to start arriving. A total of 6 children came that day. Personally I felt embarrised. It was my week to "lead" Kids Club and for what we had planned and the 12 extra college students we had visiting we only had 6 children. Once I started thinking like this I took it to prayer. Simply asking the Lord that He would give me an overflowing amount of Joy to be able to share with these kids. Long story short, we had an amaizing time with these children, and the team had a great time as well. That night, for some reason, a few of us interns decided to join the team with their nightly "wrap up" time. As they went around the circle telling their "highs" and "lows" of the day, it got to me. I asked them if they could be praying for me and my heart as I was feeling down today when I really shouldn't have because the number of children shouldn't matter. After my turn one of the team members said something I won't soon forget. He told me that his highlight of the day was watching me lead songs with the kids that came that day. He told me that because of the joy and excitement that I put forth he could see that what I was doing on that stage was for the Lord, and whether it was for 6 or 600 children I would have done the same thing becasue it was for the Lord. PRAISE GOD TO THAT! Talk about an answered prayer! That day I learned what the Lord was saying to His disciples in this passage. There is nothing better than giving our Lord everything you have. I this woman spared no expence when she anointed our King, so why do we? Looking at it, the Lord gives us talents, He gives us resources and He wants us to use them for His glory. I don't think the discples were wrong in thinking that the ointment should have been sold and then the money given to the poor, but giving what the Lord has blessed us with back to Him shows how much we love; and like His word says, we will be blessed in doing that. It makes me think of the "Gringos" I've talked to here who say that they are here to do volunteer work (contruction, helping at orphan homes, etc.) They are doing a great work, but if the Lord has given them a heart for people, they should be not focusing completely on phyisical help, but spiritual help. If they love the Lord and have a heart for people, use that to bring them back to the Lord. It's my prayer that I will never forgot that when we go all out for the Lord, we will be blessed by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment